What a treat it was to interview the talented and gorgeous Creative Director and Designer Saadia Masood from La Ombre Creations. Saadia has one of the most unique and dreamy cake creating styles in the industry, we absolutely can't wait to see her next creation! La Ombre Creations was established in 2015 with a vision to design and create stylish cakes by pushing creative boundaries. A former dress designer, Saadia is motivated by her love for design in all its forms including fashion, architecture and fine art. Saadia has a classic, feminine approach to cake design, combined with an eye for detail and on-trend aesthetics, which has led her to the forefront of the wedding industry–setting the trends with flawless execution of intricate designs. Listed as one of the top five must follow cake designers in Canberra!
THE Q & A’S:
• Growing up, your dream job/career was?
To become a dress designer.
• Besides your own, list 3 favourite Instagram accounts that you follow?
@ohitsperfect for sure! (woohoo!), @Jasmineraecakes super inspiring, @irisvanherpen ahh the amazing dresses! I am definitely looking forward to designing a cake inspired by their dresses. It will be very challenging though.
• If you had to only eat 1 dessert for the rest of your life what would it be?
A good quality simple chocolate cake.
• What has been your most successful post and why do you think it was so successful?
The most successful post on Instagram received almost 15,000 likes. They were mini “ LOC down cakes “ I recently started due to Covid-19. I think it was successful because of it’s beautiful soft colours.
• What would you say your aesthetic and style is that makes your business stand out and attracts your clients?
I love adding hints of blush and using muted tones through out my feed specially some unique buttercream and drip colours.
• The inspiration behind starting your business came from?
I always wanted to be an artist. Dress designing was my main goal but that never happened.
• The biggest misconception about your job is?
We don't get extravagant cakes for our birthdays, and we love when someone brings us a cake ? so please do!
• What would be the best tips you can give someone wanting to start their own business?
Be aware it won't happen quickly and you have to be prepared to work harder than ever before but most importantly believe in what you do. If you don't, no one will. When you do something you love, be sure to remain authentic, and do all the research you can to make your work stand out.
• What is the most memorable/favourite moment from your job?
Looking at the beautiful smiles of my clients on pickups or deliveries.
• The most fun part of your job is?
Experimenting with new techniques and textures but most of all I love making sugar flowers. Making these types of flowers is very relaxing and therapeutic for me.